Saturday, August 29, 2009

A Month in Dansui - an internship at AHRI

For the two-month summer vaction before I become a senior of veterinary medicine, I signed up for the internships at Chung Hsing University Animal Hospital and Animal Health Research Institute, the former in July and the latter in August. The time in Chung Hsing was fun and fast since I am interested in small animals and clinical medication before I even started the internship, and although I was not a fan for experiments and doing research, working in a laboratory is also a career option for a graduated veterinarian. That 's why me and my two classmates, along with 6 students from three other veterinary school gathered together at Dansui this August. I shared a room with my classmate in this hotel-like dormitary. It had everything a hotel room had, clean bed sheets, tooth brush, shampoo, air conditioner, and best of all the view, which looked out to Guan-Yin Mountain on the other side of Dansui River. They also got a laundry and a social room with a TV. No wonder we all felt like staying behind for the weekends and not going home if it were not for the typhoon and for fear we might be trapped without food.
My lab partner from Chung Hsing University, a very thoughtful and hard-working girl, who prompt me into taking my studies more serious than I used to. We were assigned to Hog Cholera Division, and our mentor was Mr. Lee, who gave us all the knowledge we want and need attentively despite his busyness of research and experiments. We appreciated him very much, especially after meeting some of the other researcheres who didn't pay much attention on us and only let us watch while he worked on his own experiment. Although that was what internship is all about, watch and learn, we are grateful to be able to have the chance to actually do the experiment such as ELISA or PCR, and use those expensive apparutus and materials which schools are not able to afford.
A colorful Western Blot gel.
The bus ride takes about 5 minutes to go between Dansui MRT station and the institude.A memorial stone for the animals sacrificed for experimental needs.

No comments: